Olbia, on the north-eastern coast of Sardinia, overlooks the gulf that encloses the Tavolara and Molara Islands. Known all over the world thanks to the beauty of the glamorous Costa Smeralda, it has some of the most famous resorts in the jet-set life like Porto Rotondo and Porto Cervo.
The coastal territory of Olbia is among the most beautiful in Sardinia. In this area of Gallura some of the most beautiful beaches of Sardinia are concentrated. A unique place to spend a deserved beach holidays in Sardinia.
How to get to Olbia?
Olbia is one of the most well-connected cities in Sardinia, often chosen as the gateway to the island. The port of Olbia is the first in Sardinia for traffic. Millions of people pass every year on the ferries of the Grimaldi, Tirrenia, GNV and Moby lines that connect it to the rest of Italy.
There are two main ports in the area: Olbia port right in the centre of the city and the port of Golfo Aranci located at 13Km from Olbia.
- Ferry Civitavecchia to Olbia from 92€
- Ferry Genoa to Olbia from from 80€
- Ferry Leghorn (Livorno)-Olbia from 60€
- Ferry Leghorn (Livorno) – Golfo Aranci from 60€
The international airport of Olbia-Costa Smeralda is just 3 km from the city centre which connects the main European cities. You can fly into Olbia with EasyJet, Transavia, Lufthansa, Eurowings and many others airlines.
Search for a cheap flight
Is Olbia worth visiting?
Many visit Olbia only in passing, moving to other nearby areas. A shame not to visit this lovely town on the coast as it has some very interesting places that are worth visiting.
- Olbia Old Town: very interesting to take a walk through the streets of the old town. Walking along Corso Umberto, you can see many elegant buildings and many small shops and bars. Very interesting are the Town Hall and the Archaeological Museum built on a small isthmus near the port. Nearby the Church of San Simplicio, the oldest in Olbia. A ride on the Ferris wheel allows you to see Olbia from a nice view.
- Archaeological sites: the Gallura region has many remains of the Nuragic civilization. Lots of archaeological sites that are worth visiting. Among them: the sacred well Sa Testa, Nuraghe Riu Mulinu,
- The beaches: the whole east coast has beautiful beaches with turquoise waters. Near Olbia you can enjoy few of these beautiful beaches. Among many, we suggest you: Pellicano beach, Mare Rocce, Pittulonghu north of Olbia. Li cuncheddi and Porto Istana on the south side.
What to do in Olbia
As a purely tourist resort, most of the activities involve tours and excursions of the coast. However there is so much to get discovered in the inland, such as cultural trips and wine and food tours.
Olbia and Gallura are the land of Vermentino, the Sardinia white wine. For this reason, many events take place in the area like the Myrtle festival in Telti and the Vermentino festival in Monti.
TOP Places to visit in Olbia
- Pedres Castle
- Tomb of the Giants Su Monte ‘e S’Abe
- Pittulongu beach
- Porto Istana beach
- Tavolara Island
Best Activities in Olbia
An area rich in excellent local products, unspoiled places and dream beaches. There is no chance of getting bored in Olbia. You can chose between many tours to book online powered by Viator.
Guided tour of the cellars and the vineyard around Olbia. The guides will give you all the information you need during the tasting of local wines and typical Sardinian products.
The tour includes a journey of the narrow streets of the historic center. The Basilica of San Simplicio, Corso Umberto, Piazza Matteotti and Piazza Regina Margherita. The main streets of the city, the Roman aqueduct and the Roman cistern.
Kayaking and snorkeling tour to the small islands and marine park around Cala Suaraccia. Discover the marine park and meet wild herons, gulls, and cormorants. Dive into the crystal clear water of a lonely bay.
This tour will take a small group of people to discover many interesting sights of the amazing Costa Smeralda. Don’t forget your swimsuit!
Swim in the water and admire the marine life. You will do snorkeling accompanied by a qualified instructor. Tour includes a boat itinerary departing from the Porto Rotondo pier.
Where to stay in Olbia
In Olbia there is the possibility to book in private apartments, country villas or central hotels. The variety of accommodations suitable for all types of budgets. 3 places where you can spend your dream holidays in and about Olbia powered by Booking.com.
DoubleTree by Hilton Olbia
15 minutes walking to the old town. lovely pool area to relax and have a drink. The friendly staff will take care of you during your stay. Get the best prices and offers on Booking.com
Perfectly located to get the most of your time in Sardinia. Very nice panorama from the roof-top terrace where to relax and enjoy the sea-view. Get the best prices and offers on Booking.com
Kkult Boutique Hotel
Amazing roof-top pool with an incredible view to chill out and have a drink. Great location near bars and restaurants. Get the best prices and offers on Booking.com
Search for last minute offer in OlbiaBooking.com